Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: More Model 19 questions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member les winter's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 8th, 2009
    Posts
    150
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    More Model 19 questions

    My 19's are clones, with 416Z woofers and 9028A horn drivers. Presently they are tri-amped with the horn/woofer x-over at 24 db/oct 1200 hz. Sounds really nice.

    But I have a curiosity as to what the originals sounded like. I'd like to try the passive crossovers. So I have an 8ohm horn driver and a 16-ohm low frequency speaker.

    Can I build the original x/o and hang a 16 ohm resistor across the woofers? Swap the woofers for 8 ohm versions? Build the Zilch version and adjust for the higher woofer impedance?

    Any input appreciated.

    thanks
    Les

  2. #2
    Inactive Member ZilchLab's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 21st, 2007
    Posts
    83
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: More Model 19 questions

    Quote Originally Posted by les winter View Post
    Can I build the original x/o and hang a 16 ohm resistor across the woofers? Swap the woofers for 8 ohm versions? Build the Zilch version and adjust for the higher woofer impedance?
    Unless you have HF compensation in your active setup, you're not hearing M19 performance.

    Build Z19s, doubling the L and halving the C in the lowpass for 16 Ohm woofers. If the HF ends up out of the adjustable range (too "hot"), lower the bridge cap from 6uF to 4 uF to increase the overall HF attenuation....
    [CENTER][COLOR="SlateGray"]... Cult of the Stinky Wrapper ...[/COLOR][/CENTER]

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member les winter's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 8th, 2009
    Posts
    150
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: More Model 19 questions

    Thank you Zilch. I should have included that I am using the compensation from the original 19's for the horns. Has anyone listened to both the Z19's and the originals and commented? I searched around but didn't see anything posted.

    thanks again.
    Les

  4. #4
    Inactive Member ZilchLab's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 21st, 2007
    Posts
    83
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: More Model 19 questions

    One or two builders have compared them. I suspect a large element in their preference for Z19s is that the components are all new, and to spec. Nobody's done the Solen vs. Dayton vs. whatever thing yet.

    The alternative source of HF drive in Z19 results in a wider range of adjustability and reduced interdependence of the controls, i.e., they're easier to get "right." They are also biampable, for those who might desire even further SPL freedom, or prefer to run the HF on toobes....
    [CENTER][COLOR="SlateGray"]... Cult of the Stinky Wrapper ...[/COLOR][/CENTER]

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member les winter's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 8th, 2009
    Posts
    150
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: More Model 19 questions

    Tubes is me.

    Thanks for your input.

    I have the big inductors on hand.

    I'll do the Z19.

    regards
    Les

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member amandarae's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 12th, 2008
    Posts
    259
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: More Model 19 questions

    What is the "Zilch" version of that XO? Where can I see the schematic for it?

    Pardon me, I am pretty new to this forum.

    thanks,

    Abe
    QNME In Retro!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.